How to choosing the right outgoing iface ?

From: Florian-Daniel Otel (otel@ce.chalmers.se)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 06:51:12 EST

[please reply to me directly, I'm not on this mailing list]

Hello there,

I have the following:

Setup: One system, having two interfaces with two diffrent addresses
but from the same subnetwork _and_ both attached to that
subnetwork. Consequently the routing table entries look the
same.

Problem: Traffic generating from any of the two addresses
the system and destined to hosts on the attached subnet exits
through only one of the interfaces namely the one corresponding to
the first route listed in the routing table. While this is reasonable
it is not the desired behaviour. I would like that traffic with
different source addresses exits through the corresponding interface,
NOT through the same one find by the route lookup. Or, alternatively,
how can I achieve load balancing between the interfaces in this setup ?

Many thanks,

Florian