SuSE 6.3 and CD-RW woes

From: Aryeh M. Weiss (aryeh@optics.jct.ac.il)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 16:23:28 EST

I have installed SuSE 6.3 andhave been unable to get it to see my
HP-8100i IDE CD-RW drive.

I have verified that the sg and ide-scsi modules are installed. In addition,
the option hdd=ide-ignore is included in LILO, and alias scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi
is included in /etc/conf.modules.

I have all of the /dev/sg* and /dev/scd* device files in the /dev directory.
Here is the output of cdrecord -scanbus:

bash-2.03# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord release 1.8a30 Copyright (C) 1995-1999 J

And here is the output of lsmod:

bash-2.03# lsmod
Module Size Used by
ppp_deflate 40108 1 (autoclean)
bsd_comp 3764 0 (autoclean)
ppp 20684 2 (autoclean) [ppp_deflate bsd_comp]
slhc 4504 1 (autoclean) [ppp]
sd_mod 16688 0 (autoclean) (unused)
sg 11764 0 (autoclean) (unused)
ide-cd 23848 0 (autoclean)
ide-scsi 7240 0 (autoclean)
sr_mod 16652 0 (autoclean) (unused)
es1371 25888 0 (autoclean)
soundcore 2340 4 (autoclean) [es1371]
ne 6620 1 (autoclean)
8390 6228 0 (autoclean) [ne]
serial 42932 2 (autoclean)
memstat 1604 0 (unused)

My printer (HP-710C) also does not respond, even though I am using the
ppa720 filter. But I am trying to solve one thing at a time.

If anyone on the list has succeded in getting ATAPI IDE CD-RW drives and/or
the HP710C printer to work under SuSE 6.3 I would appreciate it if you let
me know what I need to to.

SuSE support just points me at the on-line docs which I have already seen.

Thanks in advance,
--aryeh
Aryeh Weiss | email: aryeh@optics.jct.ac.il
Department of Electronics | URL: http://optics.jct.ac.il/~aryeh
Jerusalem College of Technology | phone: 972-2-6751146
POB 16031 | FAX: 972-2-6751275
Jerusalem, Israel | ham radio: 4X1PB/KA1PB