Re: configuring WINS/lan for DHCP

From: Tony Nugent (tony@growzone.com.au)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 03:10:34 EST

On Thu Jan 27 2000 at 09:02, Thomas Veldhouse wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Chris Knipe wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Tony Nugent wrote:
> >
> > >I'm looking for good documentation for configuring a dhcpd server to
> > >include options for windows boxes... the netbios/wins server and so
> > >on.
> > >
> > >Can anyone point me in the right direction?
> > >
> > >(Using redhat 6.1 with it's standard included dhcpd software).
> >
> > And check with the standard documentation and man pages included with the
> > software... It's all there, I've seen them :)

> Try this web site. It is a mini-HOWTO. There is a mini-HOWTO on setting
> up a dhcp client too. I like the client in this package better:
>
> http://www.linuxhq.com/HOWTO/mini/DHCP-4.html
>
> You can use Samba to set up the WINS stuff. I haven't found it useful
> though. I just set up a local domain using DNS/BIND and pass the DNS
> address using DHCP.

I'm aware that I can use samba for WINS - in fact that's exactly what I'm
doing -- we are a largish ISP and there is not one nt server in the
place (but all the linux boxes are running samba, and the windows
boxes are all using a samba server for the dozer box networking).

However, it is possible to give dozer boxes all the WINS config info
through DHCPD, which can have some very distinct advantages in
situations like when you have many of such clients and they (the
boxes) tend to roam about the place...

What I'm eventually looking forward to, is when samba can be
configured at boot time via dhcpd, similar to how it does the rest of
the networking...

Cheers
Tony