Dual modem setup

From: Tim Burden (tburden@zeuter.com)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 17:03:14 EST

I have two pentiums running Windows on a little network and they each have a
modem to connect to the same ISP. I've tried software that allows both
machines to connect to the ISP simultaneously through a single modem on one
of the machine, but this software bites my ass.

I also have an old 386, and here's what I want to do. I want to load Linux
onto it and hook it up to the little network, and give it both the modems to
hook up to my ISP with. I want to use the 386 as a firewall, in other words,
but I want it to be able to use BOTH modems if the load warrants this
sufficiently. I want the second modem to kick in automatically when needed
and hang up by itself when not needed.

1. Can I do this?
2. Can someone give me a rough overview of what I need to configure and
point me at the relevant HOWTO's?

Thanks so much.

Tim