Re: INET problem

From: Nick Bastin (nbastin@mil3.com)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 02:23:42 EST

>I am running 2.2.12
>
>My ftp and telnet have started behaving erratically.
>
>They take a very long time to respond. I can ping the box very well
>and the httpd responds well. I am also running squid and that too responds
>well.

Sounds like you don't have DNS. Both telnet and FTP attempt a DNS lookup
on a client when it tries to connect. If they don't get a response, they
eventually time out, but in the meantime, you're left hanging. I'd check
/etc/resolv.conf and make sure that there's something in there, and then do
a couple nslookup's to make sure that the servers are responding. If you
know you don't have DNS, at least throw the client IPs into the /etc/hosts
file on your server. OTOH, you could have some other problem entirely.. ;-)

--
Nick Bastin
Software Developer