Re: multiple addresses

From: Nick Bastin (nbastin@mil3.com)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 11:49:48 EST

>I have listed other examples than virtual domains. Plus not all
>virtual domains are http domains, and not all http domains run Apache.
>
>The original question was:
>- is there a reason for multiple IPs?

In the least, you should probably have 1 IP per interface, unless you're
doing something special where that isn't the default setup. As basically
everyone has already pointed out, if you're doing http/ssl, or anything
other than HTTP (and maybe FTP), you'll need IPs for your domains.

>- does Linux support it?

Sure. You can have multiple IPs on multiple interfaces, as well as
multiple IPs on the same physical interface using logical aliases.

--
Nick Bastin
Software Developer