network magic

From: Akshay Adhikari (adhikari@vsnl.com)
Date: Sat Mar 04 2000 - 08:53:50 EST

Hi linux net

I have written a new protocol above ethernet, and have written a handler for
it, whicih gets called by net_bh (Kernel 2.0.36).

Something really strange seems to happen. The sender sends a packet, but the
reciever does not call netif_rx or net_bh. The packet is not lost. The
receiver just waits for a long time and then starts recieving packets in a
hurry.

But while its waiting, if theres any activity on the network say ping or ftp
is run, the reciever suddenly wakes up and my handler is called again
regularly. Any idea as to why this is happening?

Thanks,

Akshay