Re: Multiport Serial Card !!!!

From: Paul Schulz (pauls@caemrad.com.au)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 23:56:58 EST

PAM,
Have just installed a 4port serial card, I can say that it's
relatively painless.

The card that I used had 4 separate serial chips on it (16550)..
(Do you know what your's are? 16550A, 16650? )

You need to know the IO address for each port (different for each one)
and the Interrupts (IRQ) used by each port (which may be shared).

[ Does the card have jumpers on it to set the Interupt
and IO address for each port? Or is it configured some other way? ]

Then..
( you'll have the serial module (serial.o) because it's a RH 6.1
  and it will be working.. you'll know this if you have a serial mouse
  attached. :-)

use something like the following... for each port...

setserial /dev/ttyS4 port 0x2a0 irq 4 uart 16550
setserial /dev/ttyS5 post 0x2a8 irq 4 uart 16550
... etc ...

[ these were my settings, check 'ma
It you add these lines to the file
/etc/rc.d/rc.local
then they will get run every time your machine is booted.

You will need to do the following as well:
mknod /dev/ttyS4 c 4 68
mknod /dev/ttyS5 c 4 69
mknod /dev/ttyS6 c 4 70
mknod /dev/ttyS7 c 4 71
mknod /dev/ttyS8 c 4 72
mknod /dev/ttyS9 c 4 73

This creates the character device nodes, and only needs to be done
once.

You should be able to talk to each serial port by reading/writing to
the above character devices?

Good Luck,
PaulS