Re: number of packets per second through a firewall

From: John LeMay (jlemay@njmc.com)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 01:26:52 EST

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I don't think you will see that
throughput with a PIII of any speed. Several PIII's, maybe. Several
UltraSparc's in a big Sun box, possibly. I haven't run these tests
myself, but I've run several that could be considered "nic stressing"
and I haven't seen a nic handle this kind of a load.

"Roisman, Dani" wrote:

> Hello.
>
> We are planning a network that uses about 75Mbit/s inbound and about
> 20Mbit/s outbound, at around 80Kpps inbound and 35Kpps outbound. So I need
> to build a box with to fastE's that will do at least 100,000 packets per
> second. I'm even willing to use GigE interfaces, if that would make my life
> easier. FYI average packet size is 100Bytes, and is mostly UDP.
>
> I was wondering what pps count you folks have been seeing using linux
> routers/firewalls (ipchains). I want your feedback if I'm living in
> fantasy-land here, or if it's actually possible to get 100Kpps through a
> PIII-450 running 2.2.14 with a 40-line ipchains ruleset.
>
> I read the ever-so-long thread that was sparked by the benchmarks of the
> cisco router versus the linux routers, but that's not what I want to get
> into here. I'm more interested in any real-world experience with this kind
> of packet count.
>
> ----
> Dani Roisman
> droisman@station.sony.com