Re: Adding New Drive

From: Mark Cooke (mpc@star.sr.bham.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 17:22:43 EST

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Godfried Duodu wrote:

> I am using a 540 meg Hard drive for my basic Linux box and am
> going to add another 500meg drive. I plan to move /var to this new
> drive without reinstalling Linux. What is the best way to go about
> doing that. Thanks in advance.

Points to note:

1. Pick an appropriate list. personal-linux@netspace.org springs to
mind, not a list for linux kernel networking.

2. Set you mailer to wrap at 72 columns or so.

3. Take a complete system backup (or at least your irreplacable
   files) and then add the new disk as a slave to your existing disk,
   or master on another chain.

4. Boot to single user mode.

5. fdisk and partition the new disk, mount the new partition(s)
   in temporary location(s).

6. Create a tar archive of the old partitions your replacing.

7. Untar, preserving permissions and owner and timestamps the
   archive(s) onto the new partitions.

8. Unmount the new partition from it's temporary location, and mount
   it over the 'right place'

9. Check everything works as you expect.

10. Boot back to single user mode, delete the archive from step 6, and
without the new disk partitions mounted, clean everything out from
under the mount point(s) your new partitions live at.

11. Reboot and test everything is okay again.

Note: man tar will help you work out the right flags for tar, man
mount for mount, etc. Don't skip steps 1 to 3. They're pretty
important.

The above scheme has worked for me in the past, but I take no
responsibility for you zapping all the data on your disks, etc.

Cheers,

Mark