Re: hamachi driver question

From: Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 17:55:31 EST

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Anton Ivanov wrote:

> Isn't the initial bogus value in the hamachi_rx supposed to be
> max_interrupt_work? Or I am missing something?

No.
The max_interrupt_work value is used in the main interrupt loop. I shouldn't
be used again in the *_rx() routine.

The intent of max_interrupt_work is to
  - give other devices on the same IRQ a chance to do work under very high
    workload
  - to avoid unexpected hardware operation from locking up the machine
    (commonly this isn't a hardware sample flaw, but a unanticipated "can't
     clear the interrupt)

IMNSHO, no device driver should have unlimited loops. A quick scan of other
drivers shows that I am in the minority in that viewpoint.

Donald Becker
Scyld Computing Corporation, becker@scyld.com