Re: ipchains

From: Nick Bastin (nbastin@mil3.com)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 12:16:02 EST

>On the contrary...
>Masquerading explicitly requires physical interfaces to function.
>
>You MUST be very careful. RTFM :-)) (Sorry)
>
># less /etc/doc/howto/en/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO.gz Section 7:23 in SuSE 6.4
>Starts at about line 4620!!!
>
>Masquerading DOESN'T work using aliased interfaces.
>It uses explicity devices -
>eg eth0.
>
>There may be an error in your software!

Well, obviously, tunneled interfaces appear to be legal. That's a bummer
about aliased ones though...see, I told you someone would tell me if I were
wrong.. :-)

I've done the same with slip interfaces in the past (tunneled over a single
ethernet interface) for VPN's, and it worked as well.

At this point I'll probably take a look at the source and see what it's
doing. It's probably not a trivial thing, or someone else would've already
done it, but hey, we all have to have our projects, right? ;-) (Or, a
better question, is this all irrelevant in 2.3.xx/2.4?)

--
Nick Bastin
Software Developer