Freeing buffers (Garbage collection)

From: pramodh mallipatna (pramodh@ittc.ukans.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 06:05:05 EST

Hello,

I have implemented a non-IP protocol for file transfer. When I transfer a
huge file (100 MB) as fast as I can, sometimes I face a problem where the
receiver stops getting packets after a while, in the sense that I can't
even ping the ethernet interface from then on. Transfers as big as 50 Meg
go through fine atleast a few times and then start showing this behaviour.

If I then bring the interface down and then back up again, it starts
working again, but the problem for large files still persists.

I am guessing it might be because the ethernet driver is unable to
allocate skbuffs as memory is needed by the ethernet driver aswell as the
filesystem.

Is there a separate pool for the skbuffs? How can I make sure I do not run
out of buffers? I free the skbuffs as soon as I am done writing to the
file. But still I have this problem.

Is there some sort of garbage collection mechanism for skbuffs.

Or could the problem be something else?

I am unable to use tcpdump as it just freezes after a certain point for
fast transfers (even for the small transfers that go through fine).

Thanks,
Pramodh