Re: net_rx_action, ptype_all and dropped packets

From: Andi Kleen (ak@suse.de)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 06:52:15 EST

On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 11:41:49AM -0500, Noah Romer wrote:
> Here's the setup, I'm writing a LAN driver for a Fibre Channel host adapter
> and am running into a slight problem w/ received packets. I can transmit
> just fine, at least ARP's, I can't get past that due to the fact that all
> incoming packets get dropped by net_rx_action (in net/core/dev.c). As far
> as I can tell, the necessary ptype_all values aren't getting set, so
> net_rx_action just drops them (I have confirmed that it's making the
> kfree_skb call found at line 1194 of dev.c).

You need to setup skb->protocol and skb->pkt_type correctly in your network
driver before you pass up to netif_rx. How you do that is up to you, most
ethernet drivers use the standard eth_type_trans() function for that.

> My question is: where, when and how should the setup for FC devices be done
> in the ptype_all array? I've got fibre channel support turned on, and all
> outgoing packets appear to meet the spec in RFC 2625. I've tried turning on
> the experimental LLC support (which is only listed for X.25) since it's the
> only way to compile net/802/p8022.c, and that looked related (what w/ the
> FC stuff I've found claiming ptype of ETH_P_8022), but that didn't do any
> good.

The LLC layer in the current tree is broken and won't do much good.
If you really need working 802.2 (as opposed to plain 802.3) you could
coordinate with the Linux/SNA project, they apparently have fixed it

-Andi

P.S.: Don't cross post to multiple lists like that. It's rude.