RE: Looking for real DEC chipset for Tulip driver

From: Mark H. Wood (mhwood@ameritech.net)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 06:43:36 EST

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Tim Fletcher wrote:
> > One thing I found quite interesting is that instead of being labeled
> > "digital" they now have the Intel "i" on them... I guess this went to Intel
> > when Compaq bought Digital? I have no idea, but am eager to learn more
> > about it - I hope Intel doesn't do away with this chipset.
>
> I think that Intel brought the network division of DEC as you say when
> Compaq bought DEC. Another interesting fact about this is that Win98se
> default drivers now id the card as an Intel-21143.

IIRC, Cabletron got most of the network products division. Intel bought
DEC's semiconductor fabs, and undertook to manufacture Alpha chips for
five years as part of the settlement of a lawsuit. Compaq still owns the
Alpha design, but I don't know what happened to the 21x4x. (There is a
second source of 21x32 parts somewhere in the Far East. Again I don't
know what arrangements were made for the 21x4x.)

(Just to round out the history lesson: Quantum got the storage devices
division (split off from storage *products* -- StorageWorks still belongs
to Compaq) and the database stuff went to Oracle.)

--
Mark H. Wood, radical centrist     OpenPGP ID 876A8B75     mhwood@ameritech.net
01/01/00 00:00:00 -- Apocralypse Now