Re: via-rhine v1.05: Oversized Ethernet frames when in promisc mode

From: Urban Widmark (urban@svenskatest.se)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 11:09:00 EST

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Konrad Podloucky wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I just set up a packet-filtering firewall with 2 DLINK DFE-530TX
> NICs (Currently only one is used). I'm using the via-rhine driver v1.05
> found on Donald Becker's site.

Which kernel version?
Does the driver included with that kernel version work any better?
Does any of the v1.02b, v1.03, v1.04 work any better?
  (Not sure if they are all available)

> The only status really indicating an error is 0d09 (if I'm not
> mis-interpreting this), so I wonder why the driver complains about
> the other ones, too.

0600 & 0300 == 0200 != 0300
  Complains because end of packet isn't set. The driver is designed to
  receive one whole frame per buffer, but with STP and not EDP the card is
  saying that now it received into more than one buffer. It's supposed to
  be always STP and EDP set.

8d00 & 0300 == 0100 != 0300
0d09 & 0300 == 0100 != 0300
and so on.

What are the complete, unedited messages? You have entry#, length and
status for these.

Maybe the card is actually receiving ethernet frames that are too large?
Since it only happens when promisc it could be some internal only traffic
that is causing this.

/Urban