Re: Ethernet devices not named eth*

From: Ben Greear (greearb@agcs.com)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 10:26:23 EST

Dennis wrote:

> At 09:30 PM 6/7/00 -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
> >Dennis wrote:
>
> >They can be called whatever you want, within reason, so long as they are
> >no more than 15 characters long. They should probably NOT be called eth*,
> >as that will be confusing, as you mention.
> >
> >There are some folks that already have bridging working too in the 2.3
> >kernel I think....
>
> We've had our own bridging code for years....the virtual bridge groups are
> needed for cleanly tying bridged serial interfaces (such as Frame Relay
> DLCIs, used for DSL bridging) into normal operations without having to hack
> the arp or dev code in the kernel. The model works quite nicely in freebsd
> and is working in linux also....I just wanted to be aware of any roadblocks
> I might have hit up the road. The model allows unlimited bridge groups (on
> a T3 DSL frame line you may have 900+ necessary, although it seems unlikely
> you'd have that many ethernet ports in a system :-) ).....

You could very easily have that many VLAN devices though :)

Some of us have been thinking about giving a hashed or tree based
lookup for devices by name or dev_id, instead of the current linear
walk of the devices list. That should help you as well.

Ben

> Dennis
> Emerging Technologies, Inc.
> ---------
>
> http://www.etinc.com
> ISA and PCI T1/T3/V35/HSSI Cards for FreeBSD and LINUX
> Multiport T1 and HSSI/T3 UNIX-based Routers
> Bandwidth Management Standalone Systems
> Bandwidth Management software for LINUX and FreeBSD

Ben Greear        greearb@agcs.com   Pager: 202-2717
(623) 581 4980    "More weight!" -- _The Crucible._
http://hydrogen:8080/home/greearb/public_html/index.html