Re: eepro100 troubles

From: Dennis (dennis@etinc.com)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 12:43:28 EST

At 10:45 AM 6/8/00 -0500, Richard June wrote:
>Every tulip card I've seen run has been stable no matter the load, I've used
>the "real" tulip cards, as well as intel makes, and other generic cards,
>the eepros have problems sharing IRQs though which may be related to your
>problem of locking up, I missed most of the thread

well you must not have much load.... *most* installations are stable, but
when systems are overloaded most drivers have problems in linux. Its a big
issue. We ship our systems with both linux and freebsd installed
dual-boot...we have them switch to freebsd and no more problems, but most
want to run linux and they tend to get cranky but are happy they have
something that works.

We have tests that hang linux drivers in less than 30 seconds for tulip and
eepro100. The freeBSD drivers in the exact same hardware survive the same
tests gracefully. When stuff comes in faster than it can go out linux fails
after a short while.

DB