Re: eepro100 troubles

From: Scott R. Every (scott@emji.net)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 18:39:32 EST

--On Friday, June 9, 2000 12:26 AM +0100 Alan Cox
<alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:

>> if the number of buffers outstanding is limited to 500, the card will
>> complain about no buffers but will continue to operate. Once the number
>> is allowed to grow to 1000, it will reset regularly and eventually fail.
>> With 16M it will fail even with 500 buffers outstanding.
>
> You need to retune the VM by the sound of that. The rest/retry cycles
> sound like you've stolen so much memory at atomic priority the rest of
> the system is taking defensive action 8)
>
>> Typically you may need to hold as many as 5000-8000 buffers (maybe 30M
>> for a 100Mb/s medium), so this is no even a cutting edge test.....
>
> 30Mbytes of buffers ?? your shaping algorithm sounds broken.
>
>> In contrast, the same test on freebsd, the fxp driver will complain about
>> not enough buffers (only once) but will continue to operate continuously
>> without resets or gaps in operation, regardless of the amount of memory
>> in the machine or the number of buffers held by the bandwidth manager.
>> This is as expected: if memory isnt available frames will be dropped but
>> operation will continue as best as is possible given the resources
>> available.
>
> BSD preallocates a network buffer pool we are UMA.

I'm not sure exactly what we are trying to test with here, but i have a
real world machine serving cgi's and graphics which has died 4 out of 5
days in a row with a variety of eepro100 drivers. All are as new or newer
than the one included in 2.2.14. Given that, I think there IS a problem.
Any idea on solutions?(other than freeBSD)

I'd be more than willing to help test and or provide a machine or 2 to test
on.

thanx

--
Scott R. Every - mailto:scott@emji.net