Re: tulip stability (was eepro100 troubles)

From: Brian (hiryuu@ztnet.com)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 21:43:50 EST

It's not like the driver oopses on boot or randomly crashes. They die under
load and the more load you give them, the faster they die.

Our CGI server (~384kb/s) lasted 154 days before going down.
Our mail/dns server (~128kb/s) got crushed by a DoS at 198 days.
Our login box (~64kb/s) is still up at 202 days and counting.

Those run tulip and are certainly adequate for consumer level hardware. Since
the vast, vast majority of Linux users fall into that bandwidth range, the
cards are "stable" as far as they know.

The web servers (~10Mb/s) last about 3 days on tulip. With all the Linux
zealots talking about taking on Sun and the "enterprise," I'd drop dead laughing
if they weren't my servers.