Re: via-rhine v1.05: Oversized Ethernet frames when in promisc mode

From: Konrad Podloucky (konrad@cc8.com)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 05:25:00 EST

Hi,
Thanks for your reply!

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Urban Widmark wrote:

[...]
> Which kernel version?
> Does the driver included with that kernel version work any better?
> Does any of the v1.02b, v1.03, v1.04 work any better?
> (Not sure if they are all available)

Kernel version is 2.2.15 (soon to be 2.2.16), but the version included
there (v1.01) has the same problems. I'll try to get the other versions
and give those a try.

[...]
> 0600 & 0300 == 0200 != 0300
> Complains because end of packet isn't set. The driver is designed to
> receive one whole frame per buffer, but with STP and not EDP the card is
> saying that now it received into more than one buffer. It's supposed to
> be always STP and EDP set.

Thanx, that explains a lot.

[...]
> What are the complete, unedited messages? You have entry#, length
> and status for these.

OK, here are a few:
  eth0: Oversized Ethernet frame spanned multiple buffers, entry 0x6db67b
  length 0 status 0600!
       ^- ?
  eth0: Oversized Ethernet frame c2fcc8b0 vs c2fcc8b0.
and then immediately after that:
  eth0: Oversized Ethernet frame spanned multiple buffers, entry 0x6db67c
  length 78 status 8d00!
  eth0: Oversized Ethernet frame c2fcc8c0 vs c2fcc8c0.
As far as I can see every message with status 0600 is immediately followed
by one with status 8d00. Those with status 0600 alway have length 0

Occasionally a 0400 creeps between a 0600 and 8d00
  eth0: Oversized Ethernet frame spanned multiple buffers, entry 0x89b8d6
  length 0 status 0600!
  eth0: Oversized Ethernet frame c2fcc860 vs c2fcc860.
  eth0: Oversized Ethernet frame spanned multiple buffers, entry 0x89b8d7
  length 0 status 0400!
  eth0: Oversized Ethernet frame c2fcc870 vs c2fcc870.
  eth0: Oversized Ethernet frame spanned multiple buffers, entry 0x89b8d8
  length 1282 status 8d00!
The 0400 packets also always have a length of 0.

Here's a 0d09 between a 0600 and a 8d00:
  eth0: Oversized Ethernet frame spanned multiple buffers, entry 0x97bad9
  length 0 status 0600!
  eth0: Oversized Ethernet frame spanned multiple buffers, entry 0x97bada
  length 1282 status 0d09!
  eth0: Oversized Ethernet frame spanned multiple buffers, entry 0x97bbad
  length 186 status 8d00!

And here's an example of a 9500:
  eth0: Oversized Ethernet frame spanned multiple buffers, entry 0x97e31b
  length 0 status 0600!
  eth0: Oversized Ethernet frame c2fcc8b0 vs c2fcc8b0.
  eth0: Oversized Ethernet frame spanned multiple buffers, entry 0x97e31c
  length 114 status 9500!
  eth0: Oversized Ethernet frame c2fcc8c0 vs c2fcc8c0.

> Maybe the card is actually receiving ethernet frames that are too large?
> Since it only happens when promisc it could be some internal only traffic
> that is causing this.

Very unlikely. I've got a ntop sniffing on the same physical net on
another machine, but it doesn't report any oversized packets and other
machines on the same net, don't complain either.

Konrad