Re: eepro100 troubles

From: Scott R. Every (scott@emji.net)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 08:24:03 EST

--On Friday, June 9, 2000 2:48 PM +0800 Andrey Savochkin
<saw@saw.sw.com.sg> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 12:38:41AM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> [snip]
>> > I'm not sure exactly what we are trying to test with here, but i have
>> > a real world machine serving cgi's and graphics which has died 4 out
>> > of 5 days in a row with a variety of eepro100 drivers. All are as
>> > new or newer than the one included in 2.2.14. Given that, I think
>> > there IS a problem. Any idea on solutions?(other than freeBSD)
>>
>> Ok what errors do you see logged when it fails and what revision of the
>> board do you have. Also what is it plugged into and does it have an
>> errors logged when it fails
>
> The points important for diagnostic are:
> - Do you see messages "can't fill rx buffer"?
> These messages mean that the driver experience allocation failures
> because of high load creating high memory pressure.
> - Do you see messages "card reports no RX buffers (no resources)"?
> These messages mean that the card realize receive buffer shortage, too.
> - When the driver manages to allocate buffers again, it issues message
> "restart the receiver after a possible hang". It should appear after
> the above messages.
> The things may be complicated by the fact that the receiver hang may be
> followed by an unreasonable transmitter hang.

I have seen no errors at all running at debug level 1. I have upped the
debug level to 4 for the current kernel which has been running for about 35
hours w/no problems. However, the web site that's on it has been somewhat
slow over the past couple of days.

Will this debug level log those errors above?

thanx

> A few months ago I performed stress tests and the driver worked well.
> I'm going to repeat the tests this weekend.
>
> Best regards
> Andrey V.
> Savochkin

Scott R. Every - mailto:scott@emji.net
EMJ Internet - http://www.emji.net
voice : 1-888-258-8959  fax : 1-919-363-4425