Re: tulip stability (was eepro100 troubles)

From: Scott R. Every (scott@emji.net)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 08:34:49 EST

I have a box with a working tulip card using:
tulip.c:v0.88 4/7/98 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
eth0: Digital DS21140 Tulip at 0xd000, 00 c0 f0 31 0c 09, IRQ 15.

its an older 2.0.35(non SMP) system, but it has logged over 500 days uptime
with extremely heavy load and net traffic. Not sure if this would run in
2.2.x kernels, but....

--On Thursday, June 8, 2000 10:43 PM -0400 Brian <hiryuu@ztnet.com> wrote:

> It's not like the driver oopses on boot or randomly crashes. They die
> under load and the more load you give them, the faster they die.
>
> Our CGI server (~384kb/s) lasted 154 days before going down.
> Our mail/dns server (~128kb/s) got crushed by a DoS at 198 days.
> Our login box (~64kb/s) is still up at 202 days and counting.
>
> Those run tulip and are certainly adequate for consumer level hardware.
> Since the vast, vast majority of Linux users fall into that bandwidth
> range, the cards are "stable" as far as they know.
>
> The web servers (~10Mb/s) last about 3 days on tulip. With all the Linux
> zealots talking about taking on Sun and the "enterprise," I'd drop dead
> laughing if they weren't my servers.
>
> On Thu, 08 Jun 2000, you wrote:
>> Every tulip card I've seen run has been stable no matter the load, I've
>> used the "real" tulip cards, as well as intel makes, and other generic
>> cards, the eepros have problems sharing IRQs though which may be related
>> to your problem of locking up, I missed most of the thread
>>
>> On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Scott R. Every wrote:
>>
>> > kind of what i was thinking...most of the mchine i buy have eepro100's
>> > built in...can anyone suggest a good network card that doesn't lock up
>> > under load?

Scott R. Every - mailto:scott@emji.net
EMJ Internet - http://www.emji.net
voice : 1-888-258-8959  fax : 1-919-363-4425