Re: eepro100 troubles

From: Andi Kleen (ak@suse.de)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 09:14:17 EST

On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 02:04:02AM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > >With a T3 you should have about 60 buffers. Having more is just damaging
> > >the performance
> > >
> > 60 buffers could be as little at 3600 bits on a 45Mb/s medium. Im really
> > surprised as your lack of understanding of the subject. But it does explain
> > the problems.
>
> Actually you should read the papers on CBQ I think you'll find its you who
> doesn't understand this. The only point of buffering on a conventional T3
> medium is to smooth over loading packets onto interfaces and scheduling
> hiccups. In fact the on card buffers on most modern ethernets are enough.

[...]

Even when Dennis' bandwidth manager is broken eepro100 still shouldn't
crash when it runs out of memory. There are other cases when you can
run out of memory too. Luckily Andrey seems to have a handle on the
problem.

One work around for Dennis would be to try to use the Intel e100 driver
instead (somewhere from their website). Note that it has some races on
UP machines though, so better remove all #ifdef __SMP__ from the source
to use it.

-Andi