Re: eepro100 troubles

From: Chris West (n5ltc@westcomm.net)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 14:12:58 EST

After reading all the posts on the Intel cards and eepro problems, I thought I
would just mention that over the past 2 weeks, I have noticed that my NIC cards
start to exhibit the following symptoms: When pinging to router on the local
network, ping times will go from < 1ms and start climbing to 1000ms or more.
 Sometimes it gets to the point where I cannot access the server at all,
remotely or via console. I get a message stating that an attempt to restart the
transmitter has failed. What I have done is put a bandaid on the situation and
cron restarts the network daemon every 10 minutes. Not what I want to do and
sometimes even this is not enough. I am running a RedHat 6.0 box with 2.2.5-22
kernel. One of my other servers started to exhibit this same problem about the
same time. It is also RH 6.0 with 2.2.5-22 kernel. I originally had this
problem on both servers when I first installed them (2.2.5-15 kernel) and a
kernel upgrade fixed it. But now it is back. With all the discussion, has
there been a consensus on any fix for this problem? I am running Intel cards
with the eepro100 driver dated Jun 2 1999.

Thanks
Chris

Chris West - N5LTC
Sys Admin/Comm Tech