Re: eepro100 troubles

From: John J. LeMay Jr. (jlemay@njmc.com)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 22:41:53 EST

** Reply to message from "Scott R. Every" <scott@emji.net> on Mon, 12 Jun 2000
00:07:28 -0400

This sounds identical to what I see here with 2.2.13pre-something ('Drake 6.1),
FWIW. I plan on upgrading the kernel eventually, however recompiling a kernel on
a P-133 doesn't sound like much fun.

In essence, the system remains running, however pings to the box from any
Win-station timeout and pings from the box to any other station take in the
neighborhood of 4 seconds to reply. Oddly, even though my POP client is no
longer transfering data (almost like the TCP session has been RST), I can ssh
over to restart the network services. After which the POP client will eventually
pick back up where it left off.

I think I rebooted that box or another with a similar problem once and the
problem went away for a couple of months. Right now, that box has been up:

[root@gambit jlemay]# uptime
 11:42pm up 85 days, 22:56, 1 user, load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00

The high CPU load is dnetc.

I hate to start over, so I haven't rebooted.

> Well, the reason I think its a network problem, is that this machine has
> never had any trouble running heavy load w/o heavy network traffic. as
> soon as the traffic starts up, the network goes away.
>
> there are NO messages of any sort in ANY log. If anyone has suggestions
> for how to better log this, i'd love to hear them. at this point i have a
> production machine that crashes daily. even NT works better than that...

John LeMay Jr.
Senior Enterprise Consultant
NJMC, LLC.

Mandrake Linux 7.0 (2.2.14) / Polarbar Mailer 1.16c
JDK 1.1.8 IBM build l118-20000515