tcpdump not catching all datagrams

From: Rui Prior (rprior@inescn.pt)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 13:42:41 EST

Under what circumstances would tcpdump not catch all UDP datagrams passing
through a linux box configures as a router?
I was seeing more packets reach the destination than were caught by tcpdump
on the router, so I installed two tcpdump processes, one for the incoming
interface and another for the outgoing interface, and even these two had
different logs, with the outgoing one sometimes showing more packets than
the incoming, which is obviously impossible.
Any clue on what's wrong?
(BTW, the interfaces are atmXX, i.e., classical IP over ATM).

Rui Prior