Re: your mail

From: Sven Koch (haegar@cut.de)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 16:08:52 EST

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Jonathan Conrad wrote:

> The problem is that often while receiving a stream of data over
> a connected socket, the stream will stall, especially when a
> large amount of information is available to send at one time.
> For instance, email of only a few kilobytes in size will be
> delivered from my ISP's POP3 server without problem, but some
> messages larger than 10 kilobytes or so will cause fetchmail
> to time-out. If I telnet to a remote shell account and issue
> a command such as, "cat /proc/net/tcp," the listing never
> (in my short amount of patience) completes, though I am still
> able to issue the command "exit" after it stops, and the server
> will then acknowledge that by closing the connection.

I don't know if this is your problem, but in my experience the problem of
small tcp-connections going throught without problems and big stalling are
mostly coming from a. different MTU's on 2 sides of a link or b. blocked
"fragmentation needed" icmp-packets and one link with smaller MTU on the
way.

c'ya
sven

--