Re: Program to monitor line quality?

From: Pauline Middelink (middelink@polyware.nl)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2000 - 06:18:16 EST

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 around 11:43:07 +0100, Ralf G. R. Bergs wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 10:27:36 +0100, Serge Maandag wrote:
>
> >You could use mrtg (http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/).
> >Somewhere under the user pages there is a 'plugin' to monitor pingtimes,
> >line uptime, etc.
> >
> >I've used it and it works well.
>
> Well, I'm already using it since more than a year, but it's not exactly what
> I want. With MRTG I don't see if the line drops out for just a few minutes
> or so. Even if it drops out for a longer period it's sometimes hard to
> recognize.
>
> What I want is "something" that clearly indicates "line disrupted," that
> optionally notifies me immediately when this occurs, that also notifies me
> if excessive ping times occur, etc.

If it is a router, you can always use the syslog of the machine you
sent its syslog information to, to detect these drops.
Maybe even use syslog to pipe that information to an sms_client?

    Met vriendelijke groet,
        Pauline Middelink

--
PGP Key fingerprint = DE 6B D0 D9 19 AD A7 A0  58 A3 06 9D B6 34 39 E2
For more details look at my website http://www.polyware.nl/~middelink