RE: Program to monitor line quality?

From: Ralf G. R. Bergs (rabe@RWTH-Aachen.DE)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2000 - 07:19:43 EST

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 13:11:04 +0100, Serge Maandag wrote:

>If you're a bit into perl, you could periodically do a ping -c <count>
>to your default gateway,
>grep the last line from the ping output, like:
>
>5 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, +5 errors, 80% packet loss
>
>Use a regexp to extract the 80% from the line and output it to a graph
>with mrtg and/or call a mail client or sms client to notify you if the
>packet loss exceeds a treshold.
>
>Shouldn't be too difficult :)

Well, I'm not exactly a Perl hacker, but I know at least enough so that I
could definitely do that (in fact I have even thought about something quite
similar to what you suggest.)

BUT the problem is I'm very low on time (as we probably all are,) so I'm
searching for an "out-of-the-box" solution.

Anyone? :-)=

--
Sign the EU petition against SPAM:          L I N U X       .~.
http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/        The  Choice      /V\