Unsuccessful Ping

From: SoloCDM (deedsmis@aculink.net)
Date: Thu Feb 01 2001 - 12:03:53 EST

I'm using the following to check for an unsuccessful ping, but if
the line is open and bottlenecked enough to return a hundred percent
loss, then the ping will return a false identity. Any suggestions?

ping -c 4 -R mail.aculink.net > search-opening-data 2>&1;
MOKAY=`egrep -ie packets search-opening-data | gawk -F " " '{print
$7}'`; if [ "${MOKAY}" = "100%" ]

Ignore the omittance of the remaining "if" statement.

Note: When you reply to this message, please include the mailing
      list/newsgroup address in Cc: and my email address in To:.