Equal Cost Multipath (more than one gateway)

From: Jake Anawalt (jacob@cachevalley.com)
Date: Thu Feb 01 2001 - 13:53:02 EST

I am about to add a second gateway routing entry to a RH7.0 box, that appears to have a 2.2.16 kernel with equal cost multi path and advanced routing options compiled into it. The box does not have rip, gated, or any other route checking program running on it. The two links to the internet go out through different ethernet cards, hubs, then gateway devices. The gateway devices as far as I am concerned are dumb devices that dont know if they are working or not.

How will the 2.2 kernel's routing tables and the round robin affect of equal cost multi path handle the possibility of either the gateway device, or some other upstream link failing?

Thanks in advance,

Jacob Anawalt