Re: SMBMOUNT, Could not resolve mount point

From: Peter Wächtler (pwaechtler@loewe-komp.de)
Date: Wed Feb 07 2001 - 10:07:15 EST

Am Mittwoch, 7. Februar 2001 15:52 schrieb Matthieu Giorgini:
> Hello,
>
> I've installed a SAMBA server on my Linux wks.
> It works well, and I can use SMBCLIENT to connect to another wks.
> I'm in a domain, under NT4, SP5.
>
> When I use SMBMOUNT username=my_NT_username,password=my_NT_pwd
> file://hostname/share /data/test, it says "could not resolve mount point".
>
> Sorry in advance if that's a stupid question, but I'm a beginner.

Depending on your versions you should use:

mount -t smbfs -ousername=USER,password=PWD //HOSTNAME/SHARE /LOCAL_MNTPNT

and not an URL syntax like file://...

Usage: mount.smbfs service mountpoint [-o options,...]
Version 2.0.7

      username=<arg> SMB username
      password=<arg> SMB password
      netbiosname=<arg> source NetBIOS name
      uid=<arg> mount uid or username
      gid=<arg> mount gid or groupname
      port=<arg> remote SMB port number
      fmask=<arg> file umask
      dmask=<arg> directory umask
      debug=<arg> debug level
      ip=<arg> destination host or IP address
      workgroup=<arg> workgroup on destination
      sockopt=<arg> TCP socket options
      scope=<arg> NetBIOS scope
      guest don't prompt for a password
      ro mount read-only
      rw mount read-write

This command is designed to be run from within /bin/mount by giving
the option '-t smbfs'. For example:
  mount -t smbfs -o username=tridge,password=foobar //fjall/test /data/test