socket closing

From: Lee Chin (leechin@mail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 15:18:13 EST

Hi All,
I have a server program that as far as I can tell correctly opens and closes
sockets to clients.

However, after a while, (A LONG TIME) my sockets build up and dont get
closed. I have insrumented my code to make sure I am closing any file
descriptor I receive over via accept.

For the first 2 hours, when I do a socklist, I see just as many sockets for
my server program as there are clients

After 2 hours or so though, the sockets keep building up and the file
descriptors I get from accept kep increasing.

My question is, how do I tell what these (UNCLOSED) file descriptors point
to ?

I can so a stat on /proc/PID/fd/FILE and I get something like this:
stat /proc/10881/fd/44
File: "/proc/10881/fd/44" -> "socket:[1041079]"
Size: 64 Blocks: 2 Symbolic Link
Access: (0700/lrwx------) Uid: ( 501/ grao) Gid: ( 501/
grao)
Device: 4 Inode: 713130028 Links: 1
Access: Tue Apr 24 12:10:20 2001
Modify: Tue Apr 24 12:10:20 2001
Change: Tue Apr 24 12:10:20 2001

How do I get more info on that file descriptor so I can debug where I am
going wrong?

Thanks
Lee