Some problems with changing source ip.

From: Arun Manjunath (arun_tejaswi@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 03:35:30 EST

Hi all,
I am new to Linux networking code and am trying out
something new for my project.
I'm basically trying to build a port based Load
Balancer box. In short i maintain a table of ports and
then forward whatever request i get to a server whose
ip i know. But the problem is that i am unable to
forward a packet with the source ip as the address of
this machine. I have added code in ip_input.c to do
this and do a ip_route_input after doing a
dst_release. It is able to forward the packet if the
source address is not changed. ( ip_forwarding is
enabled and i have also run echo 1 >
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward). IP firewalling is also
enable.
However when i assign the source address as this
machine it is not able to forward the packet.

If anybody could guide me to a few resources or just
give me a hack i would greatly appreciate it .
Thanks.
Arun.