Re: Linksys card

From: Ron Alford (ronwalf@wam.umd.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2001 - 09:03:09 EST

On Sat, 7 Jul 2001, Jim Roland wrote:

> I'm not sure, but when I've had to grab drivers from his page, I have
> grabbed the source and plugged the *.c and *.h files to replace ones already
> present in my current kernel version. They compiled just fine for me. Be
> sure, of course, to backup the files you're replacing, just in case.

As mentioned earlier, the drivers on his page are meant for the 2.2
kernels, and not for 2.4. They have a different interface to the kernel,
though I don't know by how much.

> Linksys and Netgear are 2 cards I have had little problem with in previous
> and current kernel versions. DLink DE220 (ISA card) and the 3Com 3c905B-TX
> are others that work well and seem to have few driver issues. For my home
> system (which uses a Netgear FA311), I actually had to get the driver from
> the Netgear website for RedHat 7.0. RH7.1 I used the stock driver (either
> tulip or natsemi, I don't remember).

RH7.0 used a 2.2 kernel, so I'm not suprised that Mr. Becker's drivers
worked great. Notice though, that I am talking about a gigabit ethernet
card, of which very few seem to be explicitly listed in the kernel.

--
Ron Alford, KB0NUV
http://volus.net/~ronwalf