Re: NDD-a-like

From: Simon Stewart (sms@lateral.net)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 08:36:28 EST

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 01:56:41PM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 05:56:25PM +0000, Simon Stewart wrote:
> > * Link status (connected? disconnected?)
> >
> > * Physical connector type (BNC, RJ45?)
> >
> > * Connection speed (10/100/1000Mbps? Was this determined by
> > autosensing?)
> >
> > * Full or half duplex?
> >
> > In addition, it would be handy to be able to force some of these
> > settings (such as connection speed) should I need to. There are tools
> > such as mii-diag out there, but these appear to be specific to each
> > net device driver, and are therefore wholly unsuitable for automated
> > testing (such as by a generic script run from a cron-job)
>
> mii-tool can do all that for most drivers (but not all because they need to
> support some special ioctls) It should be included in newer distributions.

I stand corrected. mii-diag does do what I need. Thanks! It looks like
there's not much call for a procfs based alternative, is there? Might
still be a nice starter project to get into kernel hacking, though....

Cheers,

Simon

--
"I've gone through over-stressed to physical exhaustion... what's next?"
"Tuesday" --- Simon Burr & Kyle Hearn