Re: NDD-a-like

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 09:45:15 EST

The thing you are missing is that your eepro100 driver doesn't support
any of ethtool's capabilities :) Note the disclaimer in my message,
requires driver support.

To reiterate, mii-diag is a legacy tool that works right now with a
subset of hardware... for the future, ethtool will support gige, fiber,
and various other scenarios. For example ethtool is fully implemented
for Intel's e1000 gige driver, sun/ppc GEM gige driver, and several
other drivers.

mii-diag really only works for the subset of PCI-based, MII-based
hardware with Linux drivers originating from Donald Becker :)

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik      | "I went through my candy like hot oatmeal
Building 1024    |  through an internally-buttered weasel."