Re: NDD-a-like

From: Simon Stewart (sms@lateral.net)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 10:32:58 EST

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 09:45:15AM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> The thing you are missing is that your eepro100 driver doesn't support
> any of ethtool's capabilities :) Note the disclaimer in my message,
> requires driver support.

I did spot the disclaimer, and figured that must be the case with the
eepro100 after my brief experiment, but didn't let it stand in the way
of the rest of my point (why let facts get in the way of a good story
:)

> To reiterate, mii-diag is a legacy tool that works right now with a
> subset of hardware... for the future, ethtool will support gige, fiber,
> and various other scenarios. For example ethtool is fully implemented
> for Intel's e1000 gige driver, sun/ppc GEM gige driver, and several
> other drivers.

Since the information presented by ethtool and mii-diag is largely the
same for the "subset of PCI-based, MII-based hardware" is there any
reason why the only one of this small subset I have access to doesn't
work with the new tool? How hard would it be to get the eepro100
driver understanding the newer ioctls?

I'm asking from the pov of someone who wants to start hacking the
kernel and providing something useful, rather than as a fully fledged,
"been hacking the kerenl since 0.99" expert Linux kernel developer.

> mii-diag really only works for the subset of PCI-based, MII-based
> hardware with Linux drivers originating from Donald Becker :)

That has now been drummed in, and is understood ;)

Cheers,

Simon

[1] Not wanting to start something. Point me at the archives if there
    was some previous differences of opinions.

--
`The situation is completely under control. All of them were killed.'
     --- Alim Razim, for the Northern Alliance, demonstrating fine