Sniffing the routing socket on Unix

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer (bortzmeyer@netaktiv.com)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 15:15:41 EST

I'm looking for a nice program to sniff the routing socket on Unix (mostly
Linux) machines and to display the messages, both unformatted and formatted.
This is to debug routing problems, as you may guess. I need to know the flags
(static, dynamic, etc), the protocol (zebra or not?), etc.

Several programs use the routing socket to get information but I would like an
unmediated access.

If you want to program it yourself :-) this is chapter 17 of Stevens' Unix
Network Programming. The source code from Zebra may certainly help.