Re: NDD-a-like

From: Bernd Eckenfels (ecki-news2002-01@lina.inka.de)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 22:35:39 EST

In article <20020122142506.GG3823@127.0.0.1> you wrote:
> $ ls /proc/net/devices/eth0
> speed_10 speed_100 speed_auto link_status
> full_duplex half_duplex media_type

> And then to see what's being used atm:

Actually I was thinking about something along the line for net-tools, too.
Because for example the ioctl on NIC IO Address do not work well with PCI,
there is no link status access and even the counters for various errors in the
kernel get merged into one "frame errors" sum. All those could be exported
easyly by a tagged proc interface.

I prefer this over the netlink way of doing it, especially for those config

This is also good for virtual devices or strange protocl families. all of them
can have their own nfo and do not need to "force" their parameters into some
not-so.-generic ip structures.

This will also support multiple addresses for ipv4 and so on.

Greetings
Bernd