proxy arp issues

From: Vikram (vvikram@stanford.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 10:43:14 EST

Hi,

I am having trouble using proxy arp with RH7.2 [linux 2.4.7-10 stock
kernel which comes with it]

Proxy arp doesnt seem to work. I have hosts a.stanford.edu and
b.stanford.edu on the same subnet. b.stanford.edu is no longer there, and
a.stanford.edu is set to proxy arp for it....so that it can get its
packets [for a specific reason which is not so relevant here,hopefully].

i set the proxy arp entry in a.stanford.edu as follows:

arp -Ds b.stanford.edu eth0 pub

and then ping b.stanford.edu from some host outside. a tcpdump shows the
gateway router doing an arp who-has b.stanford.edu but there is no arp
reply at all from a.stanford.edu ??

can anyone tell me what i have missed ?

        Vikram