Re: proxy arp issues

From: Casey Carter (Casey@Carter.net)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 14:42:00 EST

Linux will not proxy arp for an address on interface X if the route for
that address points back to interface X (That's what you call a routing
loop). Do have have a host-specific route for the address that points
somewhere else? If you want to use iptables REDIRECT target to capture
the traffic, then I think a simple "route add -host b.stanford.edu dev
lo" will work.

Vikram wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am having trouble using proxy arp with RH7.2 [linux 2.4.7-10 stock
>kernel which comes with it]
>
>Proxy arp doesnt seem to work. I have hosts a.stanford.edu and
>b.stanford.edu on the same subnet. b.stanford.edu is no longer there, and
>a.stanford.edu is set to proxy arp for it....so that it can get its
>packets [for a specific reason which is not so relevant here,hopefully].
>
>i set the proxy arp entry in a.stanford.edu as follows:
>
>arp -Ds b.stanford.edu eth0 pub
>
>and then ping b.stanford.edu from some host outside. a tcpdump shows the
>gateway router doing an arp who-has b.stanford.edu but there is no arp
>reply at all from a.stanford.edu ??
>
>can anyone tell me what i have missed ?
>

> Vikram
>
>-
>To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-net" in

Casey Carter
Casey@Carter.net
ccarter@uiuc.edu
AIM: cartec69