Re: question about the receiving ip path

From: Vincent Guffens (guffens@auto.ucl.ac.be)
Date: Thu Jul 18 2002 - 03:40:43 EST

A few months ago, I did a drawing of the path of an ip packet in the linux 2.4 kernel, it is not completed but it says what you
say in graphical form. I would appreciate any feedback and corrections.

The figure is attached in compressed (gzipped) eps format.

Cheers,

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 11:22:54PM +0200, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> In article <7B2A7784F4B7F0409947481F3F3FEF8303A070F6@eammlnt051.lmc.ericsson.se> you wrote:
> > I would like to know if the cloned sk_buff is really needed, and also what
> > is the path used, (how to find it, since it's a maze to try to figure out
> > the receiving path, by looking at place where sk_buff are cloned, since I
> > don't know the entry function). At least knowing the entry function could
> > help a lot.
>
> For 2.4 see net/core/dev.c:netif_rx(skb) which is called by the network
> driver. This will add it to the queue->input_pkt_queue, which is processed
> by net_rx_action(), which will call the protocol families receive handlers
> eighter directly via the func() method of the protcol or by
> deliver_to_old_cones() which does contain the clone. for ip it is
> net/ipv4/ip_input.c:ip_rcv() which hands it to ip_rcv_finish() which
> distributes it to the ip_local_deliver() for local targets which then passes
> it to ip_local_deliver_finish() which calls the ip protocol handler, for
> example udp_rcv which looks up the socket and passes it into that.
>
> Hope this is nearly right, by reading the source. Note, I am not shure with
> softirq and stuff, which function is running in the irq or bottom half mode.
>
> Greetings
> Bernd

				Vincent Guffens, CESAME, UCL

Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history. "Don't bother us with politics," respond those who don't want to learn. -- Richard M. Stallman