"Bridging" tokenring and ethernet

From: Ph. Marek (marek@bmlv.gv.at)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 01:29:21 EST

Hello everybody!

I've got a question.
I need to bridge a tokenring segment with an ethernet segment.

I know that that's possible (with static addresses on the tokenring segment)
by using iptables and forwarding rules and by putting the ports in promiscous
mode. So packets from an tr host going NOT to an tr host would be forwarded
to eth, and vice versa.

Is there a better solution to that problem?

I believe the bridging code in the kernel works only with ethernet interfaces.
(I also remember the keyword RARP - reverse ARP - but haven't looked yet how
to activate that. is there a rarpd?)

Any help is appreciated!

Regards,

Phil