RE: question about the receiving ip path

From: Nivedita Singhvi (niv@us.ibm.com)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 11:05:12 EST

Quoting "Philippe Veillette (LMC)" <Philippe.Veillette@ericsson.ca>:

> I will look at the code in more detail later but with a quick check i
> am wondering if it's really necessary to clone the skbuff. (i
> think that if we could possibly modify the skb later, then yes it
> is), but the real question is, how can an skbuff be treated by two
> or more different "stack".

[snip]

> i haven't check at what ptype_all is but why send it to the
> ptype->func if
> it's not of the same protocol type?????

ptype_all elements are the registered network taps (like tcpdump).
the second handoff is to the appropriate protocol handler
(ptype_base), eg ip. The skb is shared only upto the point
its not modified.

A text search on the strings ptype_all and ptype_base will
lead you to their populations :)

thanks,
Nivedita