Re: dev_get_by_index is not hashed: O(n)

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Wed Aug 28 2002 - 02:51:05 EST

   From: Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>
   Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 00:49:57 -0700

   At the time I wrote the vlan code, ...

Ben I basically rewrote nearly the entirety of your VLAN
stack.

Next, the lookups happen during ifconfig, and we found this
to be a bug in how ifconfig itself worked.

   It made ifconfig of 4k vlans happen in 20 seconds instead of 25
   minutes

I challenge you to make 4K vlan ifconfig's take 25 minutes
with current sources (both user tools and kernel VLAN stack).

   So, I still think it would be good to hash.

Just like the first time you brought this up, and now for the
umpteenth time, I totally disagree. Looking up by index is
totally slow path and therefore there is no need to complicate
it.