Re: dev_get_by_index is not hashed: O(n)

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Fri Aug 30 2002 - 16:08:15 EST

   From: Bernd Eckenfels <ecki-news2002-08@lina.inka.de>
   Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 11:32:17 +0200

   the SIOCGIFCONF used to take a lot of time, cause the buffer was increasing
   more slowly. Someone could try to use even more aggresive algo. or just use
   a bigger start value. I havent benchmarked it, but I guess it it the getting
   of all the protocol params which slows it.

Or use NETLINK sockets which are built specifically to do these kinds
of operations efficiently.