hanging problem at "bringing up interface lo"

From: sakib mondal (sakib@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 22:50:42 EST

Hi,

I am running RH linux 2.4.7-10 kernel on Del Optiplex GX 110 (with 256MB
RAM). The system boots fine with networking on.
Then I added a virtual network interface to the kernel (similar to the one
available at ftp:/ftp.linux.it/pub/People/Rubini/insanetar.gz). (There is no
change made to drivers/net/loopback.c). I could build the new kernel wihtout
any error. However, when booting with this kernel image, the system hangs at
"Bringing up interface lo:" (it does not give prompt "[OK]"). The system
however boots fine in single user mode. I ran "/etc/rc.d/init.d/network
start" after booting the system in single user mode. I checked that it is
getting stuck at "./ifup ifcfg-lo". More precisely, in the ifup script it is
halting at "ip addr add ${IPADDR}/${PREFIX} brd
${BROADCAST:-+} dev ${REALDEVICE} ..", called to add adrress for lo. I
checked that it is correctly using IPADDR=127.0.0.1.

Since I have not made any change to loopback.c, I am confused why the system
is hanging at this point. I shall appreciate any pointer/suggestion in this
regard.

TIA

Sakib