Re: udp sendfile & csum_partial work around

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 12:38:56 EST

   From: "Ravi Chamarti" <Ravi.Chamarti@storigen.com>
   Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 13:27:48 -0400

   What is wrong in udp_sendpages which is including header and
   trailers as a part of the arguments?

The API stinks, that's all.

   Using CORKing for UDP is nothing but buffering UDP packets which is
   not conventional for UDP sockets. A write on UDP sockets do need to
   result in transmitting the packets to the network.

Once you have CORK, you change semantics of UDP socket. You are free
to do this just like we did when we added CORK to TCP in Linux. Only
unCORK results in packets to the network.

   The patch is a initial attempt to provide a UDP-based zero-copy
   path and also solving IP frags checksum issues in sending
   non-linear UDP skbs.

CORK based UDP can do this too and it is the only version
of these changes I will ever accept.